Just a quick update on our travels this weekend...I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a weekend with a client in Santa Barbara (yea, I know...it's rough). Steve's taking off Saturday morning with the kids (like 2am he says) to spend 2 days with his mom & sister in Fresno. So - we should have more to report come Monday morning...I don't know about you but I'm looking forward to the Dancing with the Stars opener on Monday! :)
I've been reading "The Work and the Glory" series by Gerald Lund. It's an historical fiction series taking place during the time of the restoration of the Gospel to the Earth. It has opened my eyes to the hardships of the pioneers in general, not just the church members. It has also opened my eyes to the prejudice against the Church in the early days. (I think that's putting it mildly). I'm on book 4. The last 2 days I've read about the massacre at Haun's Mill and the looting and savagry that occurred in Far West shortly thereafter. It saddens my heart to know what those good people endured. I have a greater appreciation for the early leaders of our church....and for their wives. I feel like I did when I was reading Fire of the Covenant (historical fiction, also by Gerald Lund, depicting the Martin and Willey handcart companies traveling to Utah late in the season); I feel like I'm experiencing it with them. I feel better connected to my pioneer forefathers. I guess that's why we're told to do family history work: because the more we learn about people and their lives, the more we appreciate and love them. It's very true.
No comments:
Post a Comment