Monday, November 13, 2006

Life and Death

One of our dear friends in Texas lost their son today. It wasn't entirely unexpected, but it's always tragic. It's been on my mind a lot, and I've felt so helpless. Their post sharing the passing was sweet, and they said they felt at peace as they held him in their arms (he was only 9 months old, and he never left the hospital). The Lord truly works in mysterious ways. Even though little Zachary had a short life here on earth, he touched the lives of many people. He has now moved on to a better place, a glorious place. I am so grateful that I know there is life after death. I know there is a purpose to our earth life. I know we are meant for bigger and better things. I know we can live together forever as families. I'm grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ in my life. I grateful for the Atonement. Every time I think about it I realize how very pivotal that moment was....that time in the Garden of Gethsemane. All of eternity hung in the balance, and Jesus Christ overcame the temptations of Satan and suffered for each of our shortcomings, and then a few short days later, He overcame the bands of death. What a blessing that is. I know I am not perfect, and I'm grateful I can repent and work each day on becoming a better person. I'm so grateful for each of my children, and for my dear Steve. I'm grateful that our challenges in life haven't been medical in nature. I'm grateful for the Lord's boundless blessings. I'm grateful for the family He gave me, and for the friends He placed in my path who make me want to be a better person. Sometimes when I ponder my blessings I am overwhelmed. The Lord is merciful. The Lord is kind. The Lord loves each one of us, regardless of our choices.....of that I am sure.

2 comments:

Elise said...

Thank you for sharing such a sweet testimony. I'm so sorry for the loss of your Texas friends. I hope in time their hearts will heal from such a tragic loss. We had some friends from the ward over last night for dinner and Family Home Evening. They were married a month and a half ago. The day after the wedding, the three of the groomsmen (best men?) were in a horrible accident. Two died and one is seriously injured (in a wheelchair for life). None of the boys are members of the church and their families are really suffering right now. The sweet couple of course are really affected by the loss, these boys died on their way home from the wedding.

Anyway. I am so sorry for the loss of our friends and am too grateful for my knowledge of the plan of salvation. We are so blessed. Thank you for sharing.

Julie said...

I just saw the obituary in the paper for Zachary. It always makes me so sad to see pictures of little babies on that page. He sounds like he was well loved and brought much joy to everyone's lives.