Wednesday, December 06, 2006

It's done

Well, it's done. I'm still pretty numb and feeling OK. The first thing the periodontist said was "Wow - it looks a lot worse". He had to cut away a lot, and there was a lesion on my root...he took a picture between the biopsy and the skin graft. I think he did a good job...he said it will turn all kinds of colors before it looks normal, but right now it doesn't look too awfully bad. I didn't anticipate stitches on the roof of my mouth - I don't know why not, but I didn't. I did see the skin they took and they took quite a chunk. I also asked to see the cyst they sent into the lab, and it was gross. I kept my eyes closed through the first 1/2 of the procedure, but I watched him do the stitches in the front. I go in 1 week from today to have the stitches on the roof of my mouth removed. The stitches that hold the skin together in the front will dissolve over time. I'm on a modified diet for a week. I was very apprehensive, but Steve gave me a beautiful blessing before we left the house for the surgery and that helped me be calm. I'm not sure I would have liked to be as "alert" as I was - they just did local numbing - no knocking out. I was very glad Steve was there, it was very comforting. He took me to CVS afterwards to fill my prescriptions (pain killer, antibiotic, and more pain killer) and he bought me some ice packs. They said the more I ice it in the first 24 hours the less swelling there will be. I guess that's the update. Thanks for all your prayers.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Ouch. I had something similar done recently (although yours sounds a bit worse), and I can empathize. Not a fun time. But everything is feeling fine now. Good luck with the healing.