Secondly, I can't let this day pass without also giving my beloved husband a shout-out. As I scrolled through facebook and saw all the posts it just killed me to not be able to add one of my own, but out of respect for him and his requested privacy, I'll post my shout-out here. Steve's had one rough year. I dialed 911 on Nov. 1, 2015 and he hasn't had one single day since then that he hasn't experienced pain. However, he's fought. He's fought from the beginning, and he's fought for us...his family. I think there have definitely been times that if it were up to him, he would have just given up, because it would have been an easier path for him. However, he loves us enough to fight, and I appreciate that every day. There was a lady at my bridal shower (I know...a good memory is a gift and a curse...at least I don't remember which lady said it) who said, "I hope you're prepared to be a widow for a long time." Unbelievable. I know. Steve is 6 1/2 years older than I. However, I am NOT prepared to be a widow before I turn 40 and I've had to stare that reality in the face over the past month. So has Steve. That is hard. Very hard. I've decided I'm not OK with that, and he's GOT to win this fight. I know he's not OK with that either, and he's doing everything in his power to come out on top.
Through it all, he's been kind to his caretakers (including me), and gracious in his illness. I remember a couple of times waking up in the hospital to him telling me how beautiful I am. I'm telling you what, you don't wake up feeling beautiful after sleeping in a recliner night after night....but it sure feels good to hear someone still thinks you're beautiful.
Steve and I have traversed this parenting journey together. We've learned a lot, and hopefully we haven't damaged our kids too much. :) Steve has worked very hard to provide a lovely life for our family, and he's even managed to provide for us in his illness. I feel very blessed to have found Steve. He's a good man, and a wonderful father.
My sweet sister sent me this video today. My grandma passed away on April 8th and this video was taken while Steve was in the hospital (December 2015). She echos my sentiments exactly.
***I'm working on figuring out a way to shrink the video - it's too big to upload as is***
Happy Father's Day, honey. I sincerely hope and pray we get to continue celebrating Father's Days with you here with us for many years to come. Thank you for fighting! It means the world to me and the kids. I love you.


1 comment:
What a beautiful tribute to Steve. You are both inspiring to us. We love you and pray for you daily. (And HOLY COW that lady at your bridal shower needed to have her mouth washed out with soap! Whaaaaa???)
Post a Comment