Thursday, April 30, 2009

Camping...in our house

For those of you who don't check the weather box on the right of this blog very often...if you scroll down on it, you'll notice that our sunrise is 5:52am and our sunset is 8:21pm.

Now, the day Steve lost his job, we turned off our thermostat. We chopped and stacked a bunch of wood last fall, and we decided we should be more diligent about using that resource. We had also JUST paid a chimney sweep to come and clean and inspect our chimney, so we could be confident we weren't taking any undue risks of chimney fires, etc.

Now with that background...you may begin to understand the title of this post. When we wake up in the morning our house is in the mid-50's. Steve gets up and starts a fire, and the kids eat breakfast in their sweatshirts and jackets. After we've had warm showers and baths and the fire is going, then we're all comfortable and happy.

Steve likes to sleep with the window open. Well, for about the past week, we've been awakened (quite early, I might add - note the sunrise time above), by chirping birds. They have very specific calls that they repeat, and repeat, and REPEAT! It's amazing. This is the best kind of camping I can think of. Camping with the comforts of a warm shower, clean towels and clothes, comfortable bed, plenty of space and a full-size kitchen! How bad can life be?

4 comments:

The Dahls said...

I just read all your updates. Congrats on your little one on the way! How exciting! And I'm so sorry to hear about Steve's job. Just know you're in good company (us)! You'll be in our prayers!

Angela said...

How fun - camping in your house. My boys would be all over that!

The Longs said...

bbbrrrrrr!! that sounds chilly! I've noticed the birds chirping early here too! Good to hear you guys are making the best out of a tough situation. And I'm with you, the benefits of camping with the comforts of home! :)
--shari

A Lane said...

Remember, we all love ya back here in Las Vegas where the temperature is a comfortable 108 degrees in July and August.
There are always callings in the ward to be filled I hear...
come on back home....