Wednesday, March 19, 2008

We're live!

Our internet is hooked up - yeah!!

I feel like I've been so out of touch, lately!

Well, last time I wrote we were in Sacramento. It's hard to believe that was exactly a week ago. Last Thursday we left Elk Grove at 10:30am. After a long, hard day of driving (pulling a boat up and down through mountains is not my idea of stress-free driving), we arrived in Lakewood at 12:30am. We were all exhausted, but VERY HAPPY to see Steve! He helped me carry in children and luggage, then caught a few hours of sleep before he snuck out early to go back to work. When the kids woke up they wondered where Dad was? :)

Can I just interject here that the 2 "care packages" we received for the drive were SO MAJORLY HELPFUL I CAN'T THANK ERIN and GRANDMA & SARA ENOUGH!!!!!!! They SAVED MY SANITY!!!!!

We got to our new house at about 11am on Friday and we met our landlord. Steve came "home" for lunch and signed the lease. Our truck arrived at about 2:30pm. By then I was completely exhausted and I didn't know how I was going to handle everything I still had to do. Steve arrived - much to my surprise - at about 3pm and that made a HUGE difference. We were able to get the back of the truck unloaded before the movers arrived. The movers arrived and were MAJOR DUDS!! They were all tired (apparently they'd already had a long day of lifting things) and moved very slowly. We finally sent them away and unloaded the rest of the truck ourselves. We took our boat back to Lakewood Friday night and didn't get back until 12:30am - AGAIN! Too many late nights.........

So, Saturday we continued unloading the truck and getting beds put together. By Saturday at about 1pm we took off to get a bite to eat and hit Sears looking for a washer/dryer, trampoline, and TV. We ended up buying an air hockey table. Well, the washers/dryers were too expensive, the TV was too complicated, and the trampoline was round. The kids were excited about the air hockey table and we had just enough time to drop off the table and head back to Bellevue for dinner with the family that Steve stayed with. They were so incredibly nice and we really enjoyed visiting with them. After we left, we found the house my family lived in 18 years ago...still looks the same...amazing. We also found my middle school.

Sunday we continued unpacking and the landlord had people come work on the house because some of our lights were blowing circuits. Steve ended up staying home with the contractors and the kids and I went to church. I hate being the new kid on the block...need I say more? The scouts are really excited to have another scout and the pinewood derby is next Thursday. We DID find our crock pot and grab a few things Saturday night so we could have our traditional Sunday dinner together. It was nice to have something familiar...nothing like a good pot roast to make a house into a home, eh?

Monday I tried to get Kenneth enrolled in school, but I didn't have a copy of our lease agreement, so we came back home. There were more electricians coming, so I was unable to return to the school. Monday afternoon the kids and I went to a grocery store called CENTRAL MARKET. We bought some crab and some flower seeds and a variety of other things and headed home. We had a lovely dinner of crab, salad, olive bread, and maccaroni and cheese...with cake for dessert. :) Kenneth and Daniel both enjoyed the crab with me. Just as we cleaned up, Dad came home and we piled into the car to find the nearest Sam's Club. I bribed my kids and told them that when we moved to Seattle, we'd have a trampoline like Angela's. So....off we went. We found the Sam's, and bought the trampoline, but getting it into the car was an entirely different story. After much finegalling, we got it into the Tahoe (with both boys on the floor and Caitlin crying because she was the only one buckled up). We came home and unloaded it into the garage...to be put together this weekend, because yesterday, Dad left for California on a business trip. Oh the joys.

I did manage to get Kenneth enrolled in school yesterday and he has a boy, David, in his class, who is also in his class at church and happens to live right down the street. He is very happy about that. This week is early-out all week for parent/teacher conferences, and so yesterday afternoon we planted roses. 4 rose bushes. It took us 2 hours. Here's hoping they grow! Kenneth had scouts last night and he had a great time.

This morning the cable guy came...hence the post....but as soon as he left we bailed and went to the laundromat. We did 6 loads of laundry and made it back just in time to meet the bus.

Well, that's my week in a nutshell...if you made it to the end, you are a true friend. :)

5 comments:

Mandi said...

Joy- Wow is all I have to say!! You area amazing to do all that, and still be sane. I would be dead tired... I bet you are. Hopefully you can recover soon enough. I am so glad you made it, and your enjoying your new place, that's great. I do miss you. Church is different without you. I hope you like your new ward. Keep in touch. Luv You!!

Alison K. said...

Oh that is our old stomping grounds!!!! We loved central market. Tim used to live just up the road from there before we got married and we bought our first washer/dryer from the sears next door. Glad you made it there safe.

-alison kloft

Shauna said...

Have you checked craigslist for washers and dryers? Just a thought. It sounds like things have been crazy, but it's good that you are getting a little settled. Yay for the trampoline! That's very exciting. I'm sure the kids will love it. Hope things continue to go well. Love you all.

barlows said...

YAY! true blue me! I am glad to read about all your progress, tiring as it may be. You're amazing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Joy, what a week. That's great news that Kenneth has a boy down the street. Alex has a friend a few doors down and he is in heaven!

I hope everything continues to go well.
Love you!
Julie